There are about 2.2 million burglaries every year in the United States. 70% of these are home burglaries and about 50% of all burglaries occur in the South. With year-round warmth, windows and doors are left open more often, homeowners will likely spend less time at home, and winter obstacles aren’t a problem. Securing your Florida home is possible with adequate precautions and home security systems.
Secure Entry Points
The best way to protect your home is by making it harder to enter. This can be done in several ways to ensure the most difficulty for outsiders to enter.
- Buy heavy-duty locks with passcode entry.
- Place a wooden or metal rod on the track of your sliding doors.
- Secure garage door with a code and keep your in-between home entry door locked.
- Lock all windows and doors and double-check they are locked each night.
Burglars see a perfect opportunity to break in when homeowners are away on vacation. Securing your home before a trip is essential.
- Set lights on a timer to turn on and off at certain times to give the appearance of someone being home.
- Install motion sensor lights.
- Cover garage windows to hide the emptiness of the garage from cars missing.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to collect your mail and newspapers. Built-up mail and newspapers are common signs of homeowners being away.
- Try not to post vacation content online until you are back home from a trip. Posting online is a blatant announcement that you are away and your home is unoccupied. You never know who is viewing your online content.
Protect Valuable Belongings
Valuable belongings are a burglar’s dream come true. Anything that they can sell for great amounts of money is at the top of their list to steal. Protecting your valuables is most important when going on vacation.
- Review your insurance policies to ensure proper coverage for your personal belongings.
- Talk to your agent to confirm your policies and consider additional coverage.
- Make an inventory list to keep track of everything you own, especially before a vacation.
- Keep valuables in a safe place with protected access.
Invest in a Home Security System
An advanced home security system is one of the best investments you can make for your home and family. There are countless options and customizations to choose the best one for you. Here are some of the most highly rated systems:
Having a system installed can give you peace of mind that your home is always being monitored and will alert you of any threats.
At Monarch National, we understand the importance of protecting your home and the peace of mind that comes with it. We proudly offer Florida Homeowners insurance policies (HO-3) which provide reliable coverage for your owner-occupied home.
Want to Learn More?
Reach out to our Sales team by filling out our form. One of our insurance experts will contact you about our homeowners insurance policy.